Weekly Outings With The OBSERVER
By Nicholas Ibarra | OBSERVER Staff Writer
All listed events, and more, can be viewed online on The OBSERVER’s community events calendar at SacObserver.com.
- Black Men: Alive and Well Men’s Group – 6-8 p.m. Monday, May 15, at 520 Ninth St., Suite 102. This twice-monthly group provides a safe and honest forum for Black men to discuss issues related to being a Black man in America.
- Chapel Hart Concert – 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 16, at Crest Theatre. Sisters Danica and Devynn Hart and cousin Trea Swindle went from singing together as children in Hart’s Chapel, to a world-class group whose colorful and contagious energy has flourished into a full live-band experience that fills venues nationally.
- BWOPA/TILE Legislative Learning Day 2023 – 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Wednesday, May 17, at Capitol Park. Legislative meetings and scheduled appointments with California Black legislators, district representatives and staffers on health, education, criminal justice and economic security policy issues. Great opportunities for chapter engagement of members, regional allies, and youth and young leaders.
- Big Truck Day – 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Wednesday, May 17, at District 56 Aquatics Center parking lot. Join the City of Elk Grove in celebrating National Public Works Week at Big Truck Day, presented by Kaiser Permanente. Geared towards kids ages 2-6, this event lets little ones check out all the big trucks that run a city.
- Youth Summer Job Fair – Noon-5 p.m. Wednesday, May 17, at Greater Sacramento Urban League. Need a summer job? Meet with employers looking to fill full-time, part-time and seasonal positions. This is your opportunity to connect, apply and interview so you can get your coins this summer.
- One-on-One CalFresh Help with River City Food Bank – 10:30 a.m.-noon Thursday, May 18, at the Arcade Library. Need help applying for or understanding CalFresh? The CalFresh outreach team from River City Food Bank can help you: apply for CalFresh, reschedule your appointment, fill out and submit report forms and other paperwork, discover the nearest farmers’ market that accepts EBT, CalFresh’s debit-like payment card, request a new EBT card, or assist with trouble-shooting your CalFresh case. No appointment required.
- Sacramento State Commencement Ceremonies – 8 a.m. Friday, May 19, through Sunday, May 21, at Golden 1 Center. Celebrate Sacramento State’s students’ achievements with them at their graduation ceremony. Congrats, graduates!
- Hooked on Fishing Not on Violence Camping, Fishing Derby – 2 p.m. Friday, May 19, through Sunday, May 21, at Westgate Landing Park. Call Tim Poole at 916-889-0105 for more information.
- May Day Community Block Party – Noon-4 p.m. Saturday, May 20, at 3550 Marysville Blvd., Sacramento. Bringing the local community and city together for a day of games, music, special guests and food.
- Sacramento Taco Festival – 10:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Sunday, May 21, in Old North Sacramento. Come enjoy music, a taco and a pie eating contest, live pro wrestling, a beer/margarita garden and the original chihuahua beauty contest.
The post Weekly Outings With The OBSERVER appeared first on The Sacramento Observer.